top of page

Occupational Therapy and the NDIS

Occupational Therapists work with people living with permanent and significant disability to assist them participate in everyday life to lead healthy and independent lives. OT’s are frequently funded by the NDIS to work with a participant to achieve their goals.

What type of assistance can you expect to receive from your occupational therapist?

Occupational Therapists can help empower you to participate in meaningful activities or routines. They are skilled in a number of areas, including mental health, rehabilitation, pain management, driving assessments and paediatrics.

They can help you to identify interests and goals, manage daily routines at home and in the community, modify daily tasks to make them easier to perform, improve mobility and independence, and recommend activities that you can participate in and enjoy.

Occupational Therapists work with people across their life stages. Here are just some examples of the many supports and services they provide to NDIS participants:

  • Functional assessments

  • Toilet training

  • Building routines

  • Developing play skills

  • Emotional or sensory regulation

  • Employment

  • Home modifications

  • Assistive technology prescription (aids and equipment)

  • Money management

  • Meal preparation

  • Self-care (grooming, toileting, bathing/showering, dressing, feeding, sleep)

  • Fine and gross motor development

  • Social skill development

  • Mobility training and transfers

  • Safety education (road, e-safety etc)

  • Vehicle modifications and driving assessments

  • Coordinating respite care

  • Housing assessments for participants requiring Specialist Disability Accommodation

  • Transport assistance

  • Helping children to reach their developmental goals through interventions such as play-based and sensory therapy

  • Whole of life personal planningWe offer substantial support from our administration team and practice manager to ensure each day runs smoothly.

How to put your NDIS plan in to action

Any services offered by an occupational therapist, including those from HB Rehab, are likely to fall under the ‘Capacity Building’ section in your funding. Capacity Building support will help you build your skills and increase your independence.

There are different sub-categories available under the Capacity Building section, and the goals outlined in your personal NDIS plan will determine the categories you receive funding for.

Occupational therapy comes under the ‘improved daily living’ sub-category, which is for assessment, training or therapy in order to help increase your skills, independence and community participation.

How do I find a service provider in my local area?

Once you’ve got your plan and know about the types of services that can help you achieve your goals, it’s time to find out more about the providers in your area and whether they are right for you. Your early childhood partner, local area coordinator partner or support coordinator can also help you.

A great starting point is using the NDIS-registered service provider search tool or ‘provider finder’. This is a very user-friendly search tool — all you need to do is insert your postcode, how far you’re willing to travel to access the service, and the type of service you’re after (for occupational therapy you can click on ‘therapeutic supports’), and the search tool will quickly provide information and contact details for a range of occupational therapy service providers in your local area.

The provider finder will show you providers that are registered with the NDIS.

Otherwise, a simple online search can help you find service providers near you. Providers often feature online referral forms on their websites for enquiries about services or to be added to their waitlist.


bottom of page